Can a custom and native kernel compilation improve efficiency?

Quoting from:

"by enabling optimisations more specific to your hardware, or tuning the
system to match your specific sizing and workload, you can improve

For an i686 desktop, are there specific things I can do to achieve above

Specifically, how do I compile the kernel for i686 instead of i386 _and_
will doing so benefit in terms of efficiency? ( Will COPTS+=-mnative in
/etc/mk.conf do?)

I did notice the kernel size nearly halving after trying to set a minimal
configuration. But space or RAM the kernel will save this way did not
sound like a direct advantage for a desktop class machine.

uname -a
NetBSD laptop 6.0_RC1 NetBSD 6.0_RC1 (MYKERNEL) #2: Wed Sep 19 18:00:17
IST 2012  root@laptop:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/MYKERNEL i386