Re: ports

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Izaac <izaac%setec.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 03:30:29PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Izaac wrote:
>    pkg_add: Warning: package `thinyoucareabout-3.14.159nb2718' was built for
> a platform:
>    pkg_add: NetBSD/x86_64 5.1 (pkg) vs. NetBSD/x86_64 5.1.2 (this host)
>
> (Why, pray tell, don't we have binary packages that are actually built
> for the latest release version of the 5.1 branch, i.e. 5.1.2?

This is my fault but take a note that 5.1 packages are being built on
5.1.2, not 5.1 branch.
The value 5.1 comes from LIBKVER_OSRELEASE variable used by libkver.
For 2012Q3 I'l set it to 5.1.2.  Nevertheless, the real problem is a pkg_add's
vision on "different archs" and therefore useless warnings.
This problem was discussed some time ago and OBATA Akio
proposed a patch.

> And woe unto ye if you want to try and maintain bulk binary updates.
> The only real tool we have for this kind of thing is pkg_chk.

This is not true. Have you ever tried pkgtools/nih or pkgtools/pkgin?

>  And it's not pkg_install.conf friendly.

Explain please.

>  Nor does it understand PKG_PATH, if memory serves.

NIH definitely honors PKGPATH if you mean that after installation
installed package's PKGPATH should not change.

> I hate to even offer it as a comparison, but yum
> ::turns, spits:: really does have that whole enterprise-class repository
> thing pretty much down (obvious, SERIOUS caveats aside.)

Again, try to use pkgools/nih.

> [Yes, I agree that updates are so critical to security that responsible
> administrators should be doing these things via manual selection and
> pkg_add -u.  And yet.]

nih audit
nih status
nih install

> Fourth, database integrity.  If I had a nickel for every time I've had
> to pkg_admin rebuild / pkg_admin rebuild-tree because something died
> along the way.

No problem in nih, "pkg_admin rebuid" is run automatically if
something bad happens.
Also, there is "nih verify" for checking pkgdb integrity.