Re: ports

On 30 Aug 2012 at 17:27, kalin wrote:

> thanks for the reply...
>
> i'm coming from the world of freebsd and usually there the ports of a
> brand new release install all work together.
>
> now decided to try out netbsd - mostly because of xen - and using the
> ports in pkgsrc things aren't as pretty. (i know xen doesn't need php or
> mysql)
>
> apparently there is no mk.conf in /etc. i can add that. not a problem.
> but i found a directory under /usr/pkgsrc/lang called just php with a
> file there called ext.mk which is used when extensions are build. that
> file references another one called phpversion.mk which appears is the
> one that determines the actual default version in these 2 lines:
>
> PHP_VERSION_DEFAULT?=                53
> PHP_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED?=         5 53
>
> i did try PHP_VERSION_DEFAULT?=  54. not very successfully. since the
> extensions ports were out of date.
>
> the actual php directory itself does not have a Makefile. so nothing can
> be build from it.
>
> i discovered all this when the all the extensions i need start building
> with patched versions for php 5.3.10. which by now it's old.
>
> it looks like if i want to use php 5.4.* i'd have to build all of it
> myself...

That is the case but worse than that, once you introduce
non default options, to avoid problems you probably need
to build all your packages from a clean pkgsrc release.

I tend not to build on my firewall/internet hosts and
have a 2400 MHz pc used for builds of src and pkgsrc.
Build of all 1900 pkgs takes about a week and includes
the 600 pkgs for the internet hosts. Updates to the
internet hosts from pkgs takes a couple of hours each.

For the first few years when using NetBSD 1.5x-1.6x I
had to build custom kernels but was limited to the
prebuilt packages (at that time there were not so many
packages to select from).

David