Re: Possible to pass /dev/ulpt0 to qemu guest?

> I have never been able to get a certain HP multi-function printer (F380)
> (USB,no other connectivity) work on NetBSD. hplip simply doesn't find it.

> While some other users have reported getting some such printers work with
> NetBSD, I have had no luck with above one.

> Details of various things tried are discussed on this thread:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/11/20/msg009600.html
> (The model is always detected correctly in dmesg, though never discovered
> by hplip.)

> Presumably, hplip is coded in quite Linux specific way and perhaps some
> fundamental differences in the USB subsystem might be keeping it from
> finding it.

> Was wondering, if I run hplip on a qemu based Linux guest and pass usb
> devices to it, will the guest hplip be able to recognize the printer?

> I have tried options like -usb or -usb -usbdevice host:5511:03f0, though
> qemu guest's hplip wasn't able to find the printer.

> PS: I have chosen microcore linux as the guest after trying out a number
> of Linux distros through Qemu on NetBSD. Only other distro that worked was
> Gentoo, though it was terribly slow on Qemu.

> My NetBSD is 6.0 Beta 2 and qemu is 1.1.

> Mayuresh

I have an HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP that refuses to configure.  hplip is
hell-bent on not finding it.

Could you build wine and use the MS-Windows software?

If I were buying another printer, I would look to laser, multifunction
(all-in-one), with connectivity by wireless, Ethernet and USB (maximize my
chances?) and not HP.

Maybe the printer needs to be configured through ugen, avoiding ulpt?  I don't
know if that is general, or just a BSD quirk.

Did you try Arch Linux?  I haven't but am considering; also considering Funtoo
(forked from Gentoo).

I have no experience with emulators such as Qemu, VMWare and VirtualBox.

Tom