Possible to pass /dev/ulpt0 to qemu guest?

I have never been able to get a certain HP multi-function printer (F380)
(USB,no other connectivity) work on NetBSD. hplip simply doesn't find it.

While some other users have reported getting some such printers work with
NetBSD, I have had no luck with above one.

Details of various things tried are discussed on this thread:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/11/20/msg009600.html
(The model is always detected correctly in dmesg, though never discovered
by hplip.)

Presumably, hplip is coded in quite Linux specific way and perhaps some
fundamental differences in the USB subsystem might be keeping it from
finding it.

Was wondering, if I run hplip on a qemu based Linux guest and pass usb
devices to it, will the guest hplip be able to recognize the printer?

I have tried options like -usb or -usb -usbdevice host:5511:03f0, though
qemu guest's hplip wasn't able to find the printer.

PS: I have chosen microcore linux as the guest after trying out a number
of Linux distros through Qemu on NetBSD. Only other distro that worked was
Gentoo, though it was terribly slow on Qemu.

My NetBSD is 6.0 Beta 2 and qemu is 1.1.

Mayuresh