Re: need to disable IPv6

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Ignatios Souvatzis
<ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:34:24AM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>
>> $ ftp -V ftp.netbsd.org
>> ftp: Can't connect to `2001:470:1f05:3d::21:21': No route to host
>> ftp>
>
> Hm, this shouldn't happen per se, or to be more precise: this should
> only happen if "ftp -4" would get an error (not necessarily the
> same), too.

Well, AFAIR ftp has been working this way at least since 2005 :-)
And this is not my local problem. Look at the output provided
by Takahiro Kambe.

> According to the source, our ftp loops through all
> available addresses, and has been that way since 1999.

Yes, and since then ftp(1)... :-)

This why I'd like to have a variable in rc.conf for disabling
configuring ipv6 on my network interfaces.

I have not analysed patch by Robert Elz yet, but
it is not complete (changes in etc/default/rc.conf and man page are missing).

If I cannot use it (yet), I don't see reasons to configure
it and have a garbage in stderr.