need to disable IPv6

I can't believe that a Google search doesn't reveal this for me,
but how do I disable IPv6 on NetBSD 5.1?  I've read /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
the ifconfig manpage, the description summaries for sysctl settings,
the /etc/rc.d/network script...  I still haven't figured it out.
Obviously I'd rather not remove kernel support altogether.

As of early June, one of my automated jobs (to retrieve my contact
list from Google) stopped working with "no route to host"; fortunately
I remembered that this was just around "IPv6 Day", and I was able
to get it working again by telling a Perl module to use my IPv4
address as the connection origin.

Now I can't use Google Maps at all (with Firefox), and I'm wondering
if it's another IPv6 problem.

For some time (months? years?) postfix has been trying and failing
to connect via IPv6 when a AAAA record is advertised, but since it
falls back to the A record, it hasn't caused a serious problem.

Since my machine is behind an IPv4 NAT gateway, I can't speak IPv6 to
the outside world.  How, how, how do I turn it off, at least for the
external interface?  At the moment, ifconfig reports:

  fwip0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
          address: 00:11:d8:00:00:f3:a9:66
          address: 00:18:f3:ad:85:bd
          media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT)
          status: active
          inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
          inet6 fe80::218:f3ff:fead:85bd%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
  lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33192
          inet netmask 0xff000000
          inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
          inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

Ms. Anne Bennett, as a private citizen:
Also reachable more officially at work: