Re: NetBSD - lighttpd - PHP - MySQL - Mediawiki

At Mon, 12 Sep 2011 21:43:41 -0400, matthew sporleder
<msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: NetBSD - lighttpd - PHP - MySQL - Mediawiki

> nginx is fast and I know hating on apache is fashionable, but I still
> don't understand what's wrong with it.
>
> The most common complaint I've heard is that the config file is
> "complicated", but it doesn't have to be..
> http://mspo.com/nc/mini-httpd.conf

The "complicated" part is the big deal.  "fast" is secondary -- which is
why even bozohttpd running under inetd is A-OK for me.

That example you point to is indeed short and simple, but it doesn't
support anything beyond the very most basic site.  By the time you start
to do anything useful then Apache configs get very nasty, especially
with SSL involved.  My most basic Apache-1.x config for just one site
with SSL, ~/public_html directories, directory indexing, and aliases for
cgi-bin and the httpd manual is over 220 lines long with all comments
and blanks stripped and I'm still not exactly sure how some features
work in SSL vs. non-SSL connections, nor is there any mailman support
configured.

Some of the features of how Apache is configured are also very prone to
error, or at least to unexpected results, and there aren't good test and
validation tools to help figure out what a given config actually means,
other than actually turning it on and running a whole suite of test URLs
against it from various client systems.

I'm loathe to try Apache-2 since from everything I've seen it just ramps
up the complexity yet again, and with zero benefit for my uses as far as
I can tell (except of course for the potential benefit of running better
maintained code).

My lighttpd conf with full mailman support for five virtual domains was
only just over 200 lines long, and much more understandable, though
somewhat redundant (collapsing the repeated mailman stuff would cut it
in half I think, if that were possible).

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/