Re: Coovachilli and NetBSD

Stefano Marinelli <postnet%dragas.dyndns.org@localhost> writes:

>> Can you explain how this is supposed to work?  I don't understand why
>> you think tun interfaces are part of this.  Perhaps tap?
>
> No, it's tun. As far as I've read (and tested), the tap interface
> works only on Linux.
> Actually it starts a tun interface (with a local ip address, usually
> 192.168.182.1) and an internal dhcp server on it. Then it starts to
> listen (bridge?) on the lan specified interface (in my situation, it's
> re0) and whenever a client asks for an ip, it assigns one of those
> local ips.

You haven't explained *how* it's supposed to work, just what it's
supposed to do.

As I understand it, tun(4) will provide IP packets and tap(4) will
appear to be an Ethernet.  I wouldn't expect that one can bridge a tun
and an ethernet (with brconfig(8)).

> The problem is: I can see, using tcpdump, the requests coming on the
> physical re0 interface, but there are no replies. And tcpdump on the
> tun0 doesn't show anything.

So the question is how the packets are supposed to flow from the re(4)
to the tun(4); presumably the program listens on re with bpf, grabs
packets, munges them somehow, and then writes them to the control side
of the tun.

Probably time to fire up a debugger and trace a packet.