Re: glassfish on NetBSD?

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 07:39:13PM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
> On 04.09.2011 16:13, Lasse Hillerøe Petersen wrote:
> > In the past, I have compiled JDK 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 succesfully for
> > various versions of NetBSD, using the patches that were available. I
> > have had WebLogic Application Server and WebSphere Application server
> > (with Linux DB2), as well as Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA up and
> > running, though I never tested any of them very thoroughly. The Java
> > plugin for Mozilla (later for Firefox) worked okay natively, I could
> > use my homebanking without problems. This stopped when openjdk became
> > the "default" JDK, and I must say that I got tired of spending days
> > compiling and figuring out problems with the whole thing.
>
> Even with sun-jdk6, under Linux emulation? I am using it from time to
> time with ec2-ami-tools; works fine.

I have more problems with sun-jdk6 with recent scalas than with
the openjdk. Running sbt - on at least my source code :) - to
compile it will 100% hang (one cpu spinning @ 100%). I've never
got IntelliJ to run successfully a second time with any of the
jres (The first startup works IIRC with 3/4 of the jdks. The
second startup will die for whatever (different) reasons). I've
never, ever, ever, ever succeeded in having a recent eclipse
even so much as start up with any of the jdks.

WRT choosing your suffering (i.e., sun-6, openjdk7, jdk15, jdk16)
there should be a statement about which of these ones are supposed
to work best IMHO. For my use cases, openjdk7 is the best fit (not
performance or feature wise, but "hangs the least"). I bet others
find other jre/jdks better for their uses. But which of these are
supposed to really work? All of them? Seriously?

> > Having used NetBSD on my laptop since before 2004, I must admit that
> > at the moment, I am seriously considering a switch to Linux soon,
> > mainly because of this, but also because of lack of Flash support.
>
> Flash works fine with latest -current Linux emulation also.

Not everybody can afford to run -current.

> > The thought really makes me sad, but I am no longer the geek I used
> > to be, and the thought of a system that "works out of the box" begins
> > to appeal to me.
>
> They all have their own shares of problems. Threatening won't get you
> much help anyway, especially on components (namely: Java and Flash) that
> are Linux-centric when it comes to FOSS.

I don't see it as a threat but as a statement with a sigh: wanting to
turn your back on the single best designed and integrated unix like
operating system because some everyday application just won't run for
you is a very, very sad statement. "I left heaven because for once I
had to attend an orgy..." (especially when attending orgies is a hard
business requirement).

Speaking of linux-centric components, gnome users will have a lot of fun
soon, too, but that's besides the topic...

-Martin