Re: glassfish on NetBSD?

2011/9/4 Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost>

> To get java run reliably on NetBSD we need bug reports with repeatable
> problems. Yes, java is a difficult application to get working 100% on
> any platform, but we can do better than what we have now.
>
> christos

In the past, I have compiled JDK 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 succesfully for various
versions of NetBSD, using the patches that were available. I have had
WebLogic Application Server and WebSphere Application server (with Linux
DB2), as well as Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA up and running, though I never
tested any of them very thoroughly. The Java plugin for Mozilla (later for
Firefox) worked okay natively, I could use my homebanking without problems.
This stopped when openjdk became the "default" JDK, and I must say that I
got tired of spending days compiling and figuring out problems with the
whole thing.
Having used NetBSD on my laptop since before 2004, I must admit that at the
moment, I am seriously considering a switch to Linux soon, mainly because of
this, but also because of lack of Flash support. The thought really makes me
sad, but I am no longer the geek I used to be, and the thought of a system
that "works out of the box" begins to appeal to me.

/Lasse