Re: Why are drives called "wd0", "wd1", etc?

Hi Daniel,

On 8/4/2011 10:23 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote:

I hope I don't stir an argument with the following question:

Would it be fair to say that the GNU guys do a decent job of
documentation but the (Linux) kernel guys do not?

Why did it take so long for a (g)tar(1) man page to come into existence?
<grin>

People (on average) just don't like to prepare good documentation.
"It's boring" seems to be the general attitude.  But, in fact, it
is actually very *difficult* to do!  Unlike code where you can
"see if it works" (as one measure of your success), documentation
is much more subjective and prone to lots of assumptions on the
part of the writer ("Oh, I thought everyone *knew* that so I
didn't bother to explain it...")

And, most documentation tends to be written after-the-fact...
describing (often incompletely) how something (appears to) work
instead of how it is intended to work.  (there is a subtle
difference, here, but one that, IMO, dramatically affects the
style of the documentation)

I can imagine at least one reason why that would be the case: More
people see the GNU tools than the (Linux) drivers.