Re: Looking for suggestions for small, low power machine

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Manuel Bouyer
<bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

>> > i'm not sure it's worth it. there are now vortex86 chips much faster
>> > than this one, with the same power requirements.
>>
>> I had to hunt to find somewhere I could buy a Vortex86 board, but when I
>> did I found it for $188, so you're comparing a $56 board with a $188 one?
>
> Yes, I agree it's more expensive. I also think it's more usefull.

LOL... well, yes, expensive things are often more useful than cheap things,
that's why they're erm... more expensive, but the OP was talking about a DHCP
server, I was trying to keep my response on-topic :).

>> About power requirements, which Vortex Board consumes 1W? It seems
>> the Vortex86DX CPU itself consumes 2W, so I don't see how the
>> entire system can consume ~1W.
>
> It's "max 2w", I think when the processor is idle it's much lower (I couldn't
> find much info about this though) and as the processor is faster, it's
> idle more often :)

OK, but it doesn't matter.  You're still comparing a CPU with a system board,
that's hardly a fair comparison.

regards,
Biff.