Re: Looking for suggestions for small, low power machine

Andy,

The Bifferboard (www.bifferos.com) is well suited to what you are
doing, however NetBSD won't run on it.  I'm prepared to help anyone
who wants to port it, however it needs NetBSD to support a 386 cpu.
It also needs an R6040 ethernet driver to be written, but that's a
fairly easy exercise as I already have example code (my own work, not
copied from Linux).

The Bifferboard BIOS is able to boot Multiboot binaries from flash, so
the later versions of NetBSD should sort-of work, however at the same
time you need to go back to earlier versions of NetBSD to allow a boot
on such 'old' hardware (no APIC, no cpuid etc...).  I was trying to
unravel this last year, but eventually gave up.  I presume this would
be a lot easier for someone who's worked on the x86 port, perhaps
whoever took out the 386 support in the first place (I've no idea if
that decision was made explicitly, and can be reversed).

I can provide discounted hardware to anyone wanting to work on this.

best regards,
Biff.