Re: raidframe: Initiating parity re-write time

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:45:04PM +0200, uhel%gmx.net@localhost wrote:
> > I found 'SATA Mode Select' in the BIOS and changed it from 'SATA Mode'
> > to 'AHCI Mode'. Whats the difference?

In ACHI mode the ahcisata driver is used (instead of pciide). It knows
how to use DMA, and the controller's programming interface is much
clever. For example, with pciide a channel is shared by 2 drives,
while in ahci each drive has its own DMA channel.

> There is also another option in the BIOS that might be useful: 'Change
> the AHCI DID for Linux' but I have no clue what that means.
>
> Aside of that, is it expected that the drive enumeration changes after
> switching to AHCI mode?

Yes, as all drives are master now

> wd1 is now wd2, will that matter to raidframe?

No if you use autoconfiguration. I suggest you do the change in the
config file though, so that the order is correct if you ever need to
force a reconfiguration using that file.