Confused about power management

Can someone please help me to understand netbsd power management?

I have built a small server from an intel atom D510 (Intel motherboard
D510MO).  This is a fanless board, so no fan control to worry about.  However,
nothing ever seems to sleep, and my drives are always spinning.

I am running v5.1, amd64 port, GENERIC kernel.

I have read the man pages for "acpi", which was no help at all, other than to
show me:
  # sysctl hw.acpi
  hw.acpi.root = 1040416
  hw.acpi.supported_states = S0 S1 S3 S4 S5
so that I know somewhere in there my power states are detected.

I have also read the man page for "powerd", which seems be more related to
hardware button behavior.

I have also read the Power Management page:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/power-mgmt/index.html, but this seems to talk about
apm, which from other reading, seems to only be supported on i386, and
although the man pages are included in my amd64 distro, the actual commands
are nowhere to be found.

What I would like is a behavior like this:
        If system idle & no disk activity on exported disk for 15 min, then
spin down
drives and go to S1.
        If S1 & ( drive activity requested from LAN  |  bus activity ) then go
to S0
and spin up drives.

Something tells me that I may not be able to do quite this trick, as I think
LAN activity alone is not enough to wake, which is OK (but not preferred)
because I purposefully sought out a low power motherboard - but I at least
would like to spin the drives down when not in use.

I would have thought that some default behaviors would be built into the
system that could be configured by a couple variable in rc.conf.  Maybe that
is the case, but that it not obvious to me.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen