Re: Confused about power management

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Stephen Krautheim wrote:
Something tells me that I may not be able to do quite this trick, as I think
LAN activity alone is not enough to wake, which is OK (but not preferred)
because I purposefully sought out a low power motherboard - but I at least
would like to spin the drives down when not in use.

The atactl command controls when disks spin down, see specifically the setidle and setstandby device commands. They let you do something like this:

  # place disk into Idle mode after 30s inactivity
  atactl wd1 setidle 30
  # place disk into Standby mode after 60s inactivity
  atactl wd1 setstandby 60

Cheers,
Jared