Re: An old Dell 8200 *dims* the screen...

Thanks Ian and Sverre!

Misery (i.e. mine) loves company so at least I am consoled. I will
just have to stay in X once I get there, at least until this is sorted

Is a PR warranted here? I am using the off-the-shelf xorg shipping
with 5.1. I wonder if perhaps the xorg configuration tool is culpable?

No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
because I have a pet halibut?