An old Dell 8200 *dims* the screen...

...after returning to console from running X.

The driver is 'radeon:'

Like it say, the console still works, I can type in input from the
keyboard, but it's just all dimmed 'n stuff. Launching X again
produces the same good  X session screen I had before. I am not
running  xdm or gdm.

No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
because I have a pet halibut?