Re: setting up drives

On 10 Jun 2010 at 0:32, DL wrote:

> Hmmm... the /var/run/log directory's permissions are
> srw-rw-rw- root wheel
> I don't think I've ever seen an 's' in a directory permission string rather
> than a 'd'. Should I change that somehow?  If not then how can I copy that
> /var/run/log directory over to the other disk2 as it is?

I usually use.

 mkdir /mnt_l/vartmp
 mount /dev/wd0g /mnt_l/vartmp
 tar -cf - -C /var | tar -xpf - -C /vartmp

For some jobs you may need to be booted single user
then you'll find you don't have a usable editor :-)

then edit /etc/fstab to use the different partition

/dev/wd0g       /var  ffs   rw,log    1 2

and yes I see different partition types.

 srwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  0 Jun 29 08:51 rpcbind.sock