Re: Running a sustainable source code NetBSD system

On Jan 13, 2010, at 7:51 AM, Gary Duzan wrote:

In Message < >,
  David Brownlee <>wrote:

=>Thinking further, it might be nice to have an option to pkg_chk to mark =>installed packages as out of date for pkg_rolling_replace to field - what do
=>people think?

  Absolutely. I also wouldn't mind an option to pkg_rolling-replace
to have it build new packages as well.

I just started using pkgin and so far, that's a nice piece of work. Orders of magnitude easier than pkg_comp and pkg_chk to deal with; though I realize it's only binary packages; and I haven't needed to do a 'pkgin update' yet... But this is definitely the right direction... pkg_{comp,chk} are great tools for pkgsrc developers; but that's it...

For years, I've complained how unnecessarily difficult it was to _use_ NetBSD because of pkgsrc... Hazzah for pkgin!