Re: Dependency hell, again (was Re: dasher)

On Jan 7, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Magnus Eriksson wrote:

> I sent an email to Patrick off-list saying pretty much the exact same thing
> that Geert said in his reply, and even with the same subject line. Thought it
> would be off topic, but I guess not.

>>>  --disable-a11y
>
>> And, please, please, if you want to make gnome dependencies optional,
>> create a new package, say dasher-gtk, which builds dasher without
>> gnome support.  Don't add a build option to dasher to disable these
>> dependencies.
>
> I've tried to parse that paragraph a dozen times now, and I can't seem to
> make sense of it unless I assume that either the writer or the reader is a
> complete idiot.  Neither seems that likely, so could you clarify?

As was explained to me, a while back, options in packages are bad, because you
can't have binary packages for all possible settings.  A variant of the package
-- perhaps with a Makefile.common -- with something like that set differently,
solves that problem; there can be binaries of each variant.