raidframe on a removable volume

If I have raidframe on hardwired drives, the kernel autoconfigures them at
boot-time.  Suppose, though, that I have a raidframe drive connected via USB.
When I plug it in and do 'disklabel sd0', I see that sd0a and sd0e are of type
RAID, which is correct.  I do not have easy access to the original raid?.conf
files, though I could probably retrieve them if I needed to, but in theory that
shouldn't be necessary -- if the kernel can autoconfigure the drives, why can't

                --Steve Bellovin,