Re: Flash, but no thunder.

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Ib-Michael Martinsen wrote:

[snip pkg conflicts]

What is the correct way the continue?

Just to 'pkg_delete <package>' and 'make install' or
is it possible to make some other form of update process, so one can
roll back in case the newer versions don't work as expected?

You need to pkg_delete the conflicting package first, just as the error output says. AFAIK you can only update/replace/reinstall a package itself, not conflicting packages.

To be able to roll back, I typically build binary packages of everything I do with "make package" -- they end up under /usr/pkgsrc/packages. Makes switching back and forth between versions and/or conflicting options a matter of pkg_add/pkg_delete (modulo some cascading dependency fun).

/ali:)