Re: automatic installation of NetBSD

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 09:54:25PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Nino on NetBSD 4.0 wrote:
> > How about just making a full backup of one working machine, and then
> > "restoring" it on several others?
>
> A script would permit parameterization for, say, the hostname and network
> setup.
>
> --jkl

I used debootstrap to make a Debian system on a USB stick
It is somewhat analogous to the installation from "sets"
on NetBSD.

I also built a NetBSD system on a USB stick.

The NetBSD steps must be in some doc somewhere on www.netbsd.org.

Basically:
1. Make your partitions/slices.
2. mount them.
3. tar xzpvf set1-N
4. make the fstab
5. do the network things (hostname, etc.).
6. reboot into your new system.
7. add your packages

mtree is your friend if you mess up the initial permissions like
I did.

If you google for "NetBSD on a Stick" and look over the
Diskless Documentation, it should start to make sense.

I thought NetBSD was a little bit easier than Debian.