Re: problem with non-Latin characters in msdosfs filenames

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:12:28PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> A unix filename is just a bag of bytes.  No encoding is implied or
> promised, and only '/' and NUL are prohibited.  As neither of these are
> valid in an MS-DOS filename either, I don't understand why the filename
> need be "converted" at all.

In a msdosfs directory you can not have the same name twice with mixed case,
i.e. "martin.txt" and "Martin.txt" are the same name. When creating a new
file, you need to do a case insensitive compare against all existing entries.

A case insensitive compare needs the locale information (say if the files
in question are called "übersicht.pdf" and "Übersicht.pdf").

Martin