Re: UPS Advice

Hi,

>     I'm looking for a UPS for a NetBSD host. Ideally I would
> like the UPS to be able to notify the load when AC power is
> lost and especially when the battery charge gets low.
> Ideally the load should be able to tell the UPS once the
> shut-down is complete so that it can switch off its output.
> In a perfect world I would like to be able to configure the
> UPS not to re-power the load until the battery was charged
> again.  This isn't rack mount and 700VA should about cover
> it.  Does anyone have UPS recommendations?

I'll echo the APC recommendations.  I have 3 of the SMART-UPS family (the
older serial-only models).  I use NUT (pkgsrc/sysutils/ups-nut) with them
but there is also apcupsd.  They do:

  notify when switching to battery/mains
  shutdown after configurable delay
  startup after configurable % charge

The APC UPS' are also common 2nd hand (and refurbished with new batteries)
and it's possible to get the batteries more cheaply than the APC price.

IIRC, the SMART-UPS is available in at least 700, 1000 and 1400VA versions
both standalone and rack-mount versions.

Thanks,

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/