Re: lighttpd issue

azick%zickswebventures.com@localhost (Al - Image Hosting Services) writes:

>What I
>don't understand is that I went as far as rebuilding everything (the
>kernel, userland, and packages) with the same source as I have on another
>server that doesn't have this problem.

It might be a different usage pattern.

>I did find by googling a bit more
>that putting in "options SOSEND_NO_LOAN" into the kernel fixed the problem
>with Apache users and I thought that it had fixed the problem with
>lighttpd on this server.

sokva is used for zero-copy send operations. A kernel with SOSEND_NO_LOAN
will have disabled that mode (so does a -current SMP kernel).

>It ran for maybe 20 hours before lighttpd stopped
>responding to requests. I am going to try moving to Apache, but I am not
>sure if that will fix the problem either. Any ideas on what else I can
>try?

If a process waits in sokva your kernel isn't built with SOSEND_NO_LOAN.

Otherwise try to find out how large blocks your webserver writes
to the network. I would guess that lighttpd maps a whole file
and tries to write it out with a single syscall. If your files
are large, this may easily overwhelm the sokva area.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost