Re: Tuning a soekris 4501

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 08:52:14PM +0100, Adrian Portelli wrote:
> Louis Guillaume wrote:
> >I have a Soekris 4501 that I use as a gateway/NAT/Firewall machine. I
> >was going to upgrade to the 5501, but haven't seen any evidence that it
> >will work with NetBSD-4.
> >
> >But apparently the 4501 should handle this task just fine:
> >
> >http://groups.google.com/group/muc.lists.netbsd.users/browse_thread/thread/7fd6ef59dfff9fc5
> >

> >Is there anything I can do to realize better performance from this
> >hardware? Or should I look to upgrade?

> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-embed/2006/11/06/msg000896.html
>
> Also WRT NetBSD on the 5501:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-embed/2007/06/19/msg001032.html

I'm using net5501-60 as my home AP/router (ipnat, ipfilter, dhcpd, bind,
WPA2 hostap, ...) but I run -current (not very recent one but still..).

The only issue I see is approx. 2 minute delay in the bootloader before
it loads the kernel.  I know that Jared has seen this, too.

Before that, I used net4801 but it died two weeks ago in a lightning
strike accident..

regards,

--
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --