Re: Text disappears in Firefox/Thunderbird

Tobias Nygren wrote:

Some thoughts:
1) Did you install meta-packages/modular-xorg-fonts?
2) Does "fc-cache -v" followed by "fc-list" list all the fonts properly?
3) Does disabling acceleration in the X server make any difference?

Cheers,
-Tobias

1) Yes.

2) Seems to. I have the MS core fonts installed because I'm most comfortable with them for web use. So while non-MS fonts have entries like this:

Nimbus Mono L:style=Bold

MS fonts are polluted with style details that don't display properly:

Arial:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,Π
»¬³¹±,Kursivoitu,Italique,DÅlt,Corsivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,ÐѸ²,Ä°talik,PoÅ¡evno,nghiêng,Etzana

That was copied from rxvt-unicode. xterm yields garbage too, just in ASCII instead of unicode.

My current Firefox preferences indicate that I want to use the MS fonts. Changing the font settings to all use Nimbus Mono L, I experience the same result. So the fc-list listing is buggy, but not the source of my problem.

3) I don't have DRI enabled. Is there some other setting I should check for?

Thanks for your help thus far
-Alex Hanson