Re: Text disappears in Firefox/Thunderbird

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:02:10 -0700
Alex Hanson <alex%alexhanson.org@localhost> wrote:

> I am using NetBSD 4.0, but this problem has been present for me a long
> time--across several upgrades and reinstalls of NetBSD. Here is my
> current setup:
>
> OS: NetBSD/amd64 4.0
> Firefox: version 2.0.0.13 (compiled with pkgsrc)
> Thunderbird: version 2.0.0.12 (compiled with pkgsrc)
> Xorg: Currently using modular, have used the single package in the past,
> always compiled with pkgsrc
>
> When I use Firefox or Thunderbird and there is any "letter-spacing" CSS
> setting (e.g., "letter-spacing: 1px") much of the text disappears. The
> first word or two on a given line appears, but after that, I have to
> highlight the empty with the mouse to read the text (Ctrl+A doesn't fix it).
>
> Here's a page where virtually all of the content does not appear
> ("letter-spacing: -1px", but the problem persists with any non-zero value):
>
> http://www.thecodecave.com/article337
>
> And relevant screenshots:
>
> http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/9992/invisibletextgs9.png
> http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/1842/visibletextlg4.png
>
> As you can see, I compile all of my packages from source with pkgsrc. I
> do not know how binary packages behave in comparison.

Some thoughts:
1) Did you install meta-packages/modular-xorg-fonts?
2) Does "fc-cache -v" followed by "fc-list" list all the fonts properly?
3) Does disabling acceleration in the X server make any difference?

Cheers,
-Tobias