Text disappears in Firefox/Thunderbird

I am using NetBSD 4.0, but this problem has been present for me a long time--across several upgrades and reinstalls of NetBSD. Here is my current setup:

OS: NetBSD/amd64 4.0
Firefox: version (compiled with pkgsrc)
Thunderbird: version (compiled with pkgsrc)
Xorg: Currently using modular, have used the single package in the past, always compiled with pkgsrc

When I use Firefox or Thunderbird and there is any "letter-spacing" CSS setting (e.g., "letter-spacing: 1px") much of the text disappears. The first word or two on a given line appears, but after that, I have to highlight the empty with the mouse to read the text (Ctrl+A doesn't fix it).

Here's a page where virtually all of the content does not appear ("letter-spacing: -1px", but the problem persists with any non-zero value):

And relevant screenshots:

As you can see, I compile all of my packages from source with pkgsrc. I do not know how binary packages behave in comparison.

Thanks for any help.

-Alex Hanson