Re: NetBSD under Sun VirtualBox 1.6.2

On 29/06/2008, Giles Lean <giles.lean%pobox.com@localhost> wrote:

>  Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>  > I am trying to run NetBSD i386 (-current) under Sun VirtualBox 1.6.2,
>  > using OpenSolaris as a host.

>  > [ a kernel panic ]
>
>  That may be a VirtualBox problem rather than a NetBSD one.  I
>  have been trying VirtualBox under OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) with
>  mixed results.

Similar here; it seems when VirtualBox works, it works rather well;
but if not, you can't figure it out... That's why I posted this to
netbsd-users, not thinking it is related to using -current at all.

>  Trying to install NetBSD 4.0 fails with segmentation faults
>  when the installer is trying to unpack the distribution.

That wil save me the test I intended to do tomorrow...

>  possibly related problem of CPU register corruption has been
>  observed on OpenBSD:
>

> http://www.nabble.com/Bug-reports-regarding-Innotek-VirtualBox-td15907184.html
>
>  Not much technical detail there, but "CPU register corruption"
>  would indeed provoke anything from kernel panics to
>  semi-random application crashes. :-(

Next I'll try FreeBSD 6,3 and 7.0 just for completeness.

>  Other operating systems also have problems: while I can
>  install OpenSolaris and Solaris 10 (but haven't tested them
>  beyond installation), trying to install Solaris 9 fails: the
>  virtual machine hangs before any user interaction.

I also tried to install Solaris9 under Virtual Box hosted by XP and
failed the same way.

>  On the positive side, I have VirtualBox running Linux (CentOS
>  5.1) well enough to decomission an old 800Mhz Pentium III I
>  was using previously. This virtual machine I only use for
>  VPN/ssh/remote desktop access and don't store any critical
>  data on; my more critical virtual machines continue to be
>  hosted by VMWare on Windows XP, at least for now.

Again same here, only I installed Vista Business under VirtualBox
hosted by OpenSolaris, using just 512MB - and guess what, it works
very well - after installing the additions software you can enable
seamless windows and have common OpenSolaris Gnome and Vista desktop -
top side pull-down menu - Gnome, bottom - Vista start menu etc... My
SecuRemoe VPN client also works just fine to the office, so it is
actually useful.

>  Regards,
>

>  Giles

Cheers,

/dev/random says:
        I always lie. In fact, I'm lying to you right now!
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014