Re: setting up drives

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Al - image hosting services
<azick%zickswebventures.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to manually set up 3 drives for use on an i386 system, so
> that I could have root on one drive, the second drive swap and var, the
> 3rd drive swap and usr.  It is much different than setting up on a Mac,
> Cobalt, Amiga, or Sun. Is there documentation on how to do this? I googled
> a bit, but I couldn't find anything that worked. Could someone give me a
> quick how to on this with a PC? Right now, there is nothing on the drives,
> because I ran if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wd0d bs=8k count=2.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't think the installer has a good way to use
multiple drives.  However, splitting up this way is trivial (although
I don't think splitting / and /usr isn't a very good idea..).

Check out The NetBSD Guide at:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/index.html

And especially look at Chapters 2 & 3
And chapter 21.5

See also:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/misc/index.html#moving-usr

Another option would be to do a "manual" install where you build your
disk layout how you like and extract the install sets manually, but I
can't find the doc for that.  Sorry.

Matt