Re: LiveCD for NetBSD equivalent to DesktopBSD or PC-BSD?

Hello Zbigniew,

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 01:10:38AM +0100, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> Why? NetBSD seems to be server-oriented OS rather, which - there's no doubt
> - of course can be used on the desktops as well, but desktops aren't the
> "target". Desktop user needs are somewhat different, than the server
> administrator's; first of all: drivers for the newest hardware (or at least
> for hardware, which still can be described as "new") - and I mean exactly this
> sort of hardware, which is somewhat aside of the main interest of the devs:
> like 3-D graphics accelerators, newest sound/music cards, and for other
> hardware, which has no relationship to any server application.
I think that it isn't true. On the -current and of course on the 5.0
we'll have got drm(4)[0] for example. NetBSD isn't an OS for ``old
hardware''. Yes, for its clean design you can run it without any problem on
an old machine but it is good on a new machine too.

> So, a general question: what for? A skilled person will install it from the
> already available standard CD - but an average PC-user most probably just
> doesn't want it. Even, if there were such CD - what then? Do you want to
> persuade former Windows-user, that he has to edit config files, if he wants
> to tune the system?
Huh? AFAIK NetBSD is a ``general-purpose[1]'' OS, it isn't an OS for only
server machines. It is also a great (IMO the *best*) OS for users charmed
by Unix-like OS and users that wants a good, free (as in freedom) OS.
And of course it isn't for ``skilled person'', it is for ``beginners''
too, the community and the developers wrote and are writing good
documentation, from ``The NetBSD guide[2]'' to ``The pkgsrc guide[3]''
and almost all software, device drivers and system libraries have got
their man pages (more than GNU/Linux (just to name an OS :P)). We have
got also a great wiki[4] that helps the new users (and expert NetBSD
users too) to get in touch with NetBSD and pkgsrc, and other cool things
too.

> Linux will be better choice (IMHO) for desktop; much better than PC-BSD,
> exactly because of the better hardware support. Especially for those "coming
> from Windows" perhaps the best tip would be Ubuntu-Linux, not any xBSD OS.
I suggest to Doctor Who: ``Try NetBSD, but please pay attention! ...You
will be magically charmed by its design and philosophy!''. :)

BTW for a live NetBSD system probably Jibbed[5] is the best choice. If
you want to try NetBSD there is other ways as well:
  o emulators/qemu
  o emulators/gxemul
  o and a lot of other ways (Xen, etc.)

If you want to install it as a desktop system:
 # cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/gnome
 # make install

Is it hard? :)

[0]: http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?drm++NetBSD-current