Re: Hardware status for IBM X3550 (dmesg)

On 21/01/2008, Stephen Borrill <netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Ulrich Habel wrote:
> > I managed to get a grip on a IBM xSeries 3550 with SAS harddrives. I
> > planned to use it for Xen, however NetBSD wasn't able to detect the SAS
> > drives. I've attached a dmesg output for information. I don't plan to do
> > any further testing.
> >
> > NetBSD-4.0 has been booted
> [snip]
> > vendor 0x9005 product 0x0286 (RAID mass storage, revision 0x02) at pci11
> > dev 0 function 0 not configured

Weird. I tried -current (as of three days ago) with an Adaptec 1430SA
PCI-Express SATA RAID card; I get:

vendor: 0x9005 product 0x0243 (RAID mass storage, revision 0x02) at
pci4 dev 0 function 0 not configured.

Notice the same vendor... I guess IBM OEMs the Adaptec hardware.

> This is an IBM ServeRAID card (ServeRAID 8k-l to be precise). We don't
> have any ServeRAID support which, historically, has crippled our IBM
> support. The 3550 comes with the 8k-l already fitted and you can't remove
> it or you'll get a CPU failure message at boot time (though there was a
> rumour of BIOS fix for this).
>
> We could do with ServeRAID support. I'd been willing to donate hardware
> and/or funds towards development.
>
> --
> Stephen

/dev/random says:
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014