Re: Building PCC for "tools" is broken (missing symbol __USE)- PCC bug or NetBSD source tree error?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, William D. Jones wrote:

> 2. When attempting to build userland with the following mk.conf, I receive an
> error regarding a missing libgcc:
> COPTS=-Os -Wno-error=uninitialized -Wno-error=maybe-uninitialized #This is
> irrelevant, more than likely
> MKPCC=yes
> MKGCC=no
> HAVE_GCC=4 #Define if MKGCC=no
> #HAVE_PCC=1
>
> Essentially, I want to use GCC to build a userland with PCC only for my 486
> machine to save space and compiling time.I think this is a dependency error
> that the build system misses; it seems as if MKGCC isn't honored for certain
> Makefiles. Does anyone familiar with build.sh internals have any idea on how
> to fix this?

I rather suspect this is unknown territory, with half-grown features
lying in wait to trap the unwary.

In the beginning, PCC support started to be added in the style of the GCC
support, but I think this is not fully tested (since PCC cannot yet build
everything). Latterly, Joerg has been working on LLVM support and he has
added the AVAILABLE_COMPILER functionality, but there are still remnants
of the previous setup, and I am not sure if there is yet a final design
for providing a NetBSD release with a different compiler, though as far as
I know, LLVM/Clang should be capable enough (there are still some
UNSUPPORTED_COMPILER.clang instances in the GCC code)

regards,
iain