Re: libvorbis - replace

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> Greg Troxel wrote:
>> That looks odd.  I suggest "pkg_admin check" and "pkg_admin rebuild".
>> Make sure you only have one existing libvorbis installed.
> I did not have two libvorbis installed. The pkg_admin check & rebuild
> did the trick! I guess it shouldn't be necessary... but anyway.

So check only checks - but rebuild will fix the db if it's wrong.
Indeed it should not be necessary but things seem to occasionally go
wrong on some systems.

> pkg-rr then completed building other packages. Quite nice, hopefully
> my favourite tool from now on.
>
> I used "-uv" flags and tthe rebuild did not have any other hiccups.

So if pkg_rr finished and all the packages got rebuilt (and you had no
stale work directories), then in theory everything should be consistent.

> However, now, windowmaker is not working: if I start certain
> applications (emacs but even xterm!) it crashes and restarts, leaving
> a core file with no readable stacktrace. Other applications don't make
> it crash.
>
> I thought that perhaps some library changed (although i don't get
> something like a unresolved symbol), and thus I made "make replace"
> for windowmaker, but it did not help.

So windowmaker crashes, and that's the only problem?

Probably you have an actual windowmaker problem, but I would

  double check that your cvs checkout of pkgsrc is consistent (all HEAD,
  all 2014Q1, etc., but not mixed)

  remove all work directories

  rerun "pkg_rolling-replace -uv" (not -k) and look at the output.  It
  should say there is nothing do do.

If you then still have problems:

  run ldd on windowmaker and see what it uses, and which of those got
  updated

  "cd /var/db/pkg; ls -lt */+CONTENTS".   Look at all the things
  windowmaker depends on and see if you an spot anything that was built
  out of order.   Probably all is ok if pkg_rr -uv doesn't do anything.

  run windowmaker under gdb

  post a note a about windowmaker, with much more detail about
  which pkgsrc branch, windowmaker version, system version, etc.