Re: NetBSD-HEAD amd64 refuses to build

On Dec 17,  1:16pm, "Thomas Mueller" wrote:
}
} > A clean build with no special options means at least this:
}
}   * clean source tree, with no extra or modified files (it might be
}     easiest to delete everything and check out a clean source tree);
}   * no left over output files or temporary files from previous build
}     attempts, such as TOOLDIR, RELEASEDIR, DESTDIR, or obj dirs;
}   * no /etc/mk.conf or similar file;
}   * no -V options passed to build.sh;
}   * no environment variables that are intended to affect the build.
}
} --apb (Alan Barrett)
}
} I thought of cleaning out the entire src tree and
} redownloading/re-cvs'ing, but John Nemeth didn't think that necessary.

     That's not what I said/meant.  I said that when people say
that tools should be cleaned out they mean TOOLDIR.

     However, if your src tree is corrupt in some manner, it can
cause build failures.  This is a seperate issue from where tools
needs to be cleaned out.  Given all the build problems that you've
been having, deleting and redownloading src is likely to be a good
idea.  It may not help, but it won't hurt, and it eliminates one
potential problem area.

} I need /etc/mk.conf for pkgsrc though it apparently plays no role
} in system builds.

     As others have said, this is not true.  /etc/mk.conf will affect
builds.  You should adjust your file to look like:

#if BSD_PKG_MK
<pkgsrc stuff>
#endif

} I never set -j1, though I've omitted this parameter a few times,
} and it made no apparent difference.
}
} FreeBSD advises not using such a parameter on system builds, so
} I could follow this advice for NetBSD too.

     Who cares what they advise.  You're not building FreeBSD,
you're building NetBSD, and using a NetBSD host to do so.  FreeBSD
building instructions/advice is not applicable in any way, shape,
or form.

} Reason for the subject line with mpc, gmp and mpfr was the belief
} that partial update might be screwing the build.

     This suggestion has been proven false by the fact that many
people have no problem building the system (I built it myself a
few days ago).  There are official builds happening regularly on
the automated build cluster.

}-- End of excerpt from "Thomas Mueller"