Re: NetBSD-HEAD amd64 refuses to build

}
}
}
}

}
> } FreeBSD advises not using such a parameter on system builds, so
> } I could follow this advice for NetBSD too.

>      Who cares what they advise.  You're not building FreeBSD,
> you're building NetBSD, and using a NetBSD host to do so.  FreeBSD
> building instructions/advice is not applicable in any way, shape,
> or form.

> } Reason for the subject line with mpc, gmp and mpfr was the belief
> } that partial update might be screwing the build.

>      This suggestion has been proven false by the fact that many
> people have no problem building the system (I built it myself a
> few days ago).  There are official builds happening regularly on
> the automated build cluster.

Thanks to you and others, too much to quote, for suggestions.

I could and probably will omit -j parameter with build.sh, and might try
to build for i386.

I just looked in NetBSD's /etc/mk.conf and found the lines
#if BSD_PKG_MK
#endif
with pkgsrc stuff in between, so those lines are still there.

But in the logs for daily builds on
http://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/builds.cgi

I notice -j11, which would look to be too much for my CPU.

Many successful builds, but netbsd-5-2 just had 3 ok, 52 failed, so even the
stable branches don't succeed all the time.

It is possible not only that my src tree might be corrupted but also that
my NetBSD installation on USB stick might be corrupted.

I could define a separate /etc/makenetbsd.conf with changeable options to
be used some of the time.

I must bear in mind that FreeBSD is much stabler than NetBSD on my hardware.
Only thing I can think of that works better in NetBSD than FreeBSD on
MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard is re(4) Ethernet: also good in Linux
(System Rescue CD 3.6.0) but fails to connect with OpenBSD 5.4 and
DragonFlyBSD 3.6.0, which are their latest releases.

I originally built NetBSD system from FreeBSD 9.1_STABLE (md64 now at 9.2) using
base gcc 4.2.1, the latest gcc before switch to GPL3 license.  I succeeded
better than half the time for i386 but rarely for building NetBSD amd64.

Now I think I could use a newer gcc from FreeBSD ports if I choose or need to
cross-compile NetBSD from FreeBSD.

I always use build.sh to build NetBSD system, have never used make directly for
that purpose.

I could also try to build from a USB-stick installation of NetBSD 6.1_STABLE,
amd64 or i386.

Now busy with FreeBSD and some other things, there might be some delay getting
back to NetBSD.

Tom