Re: NetBSD-HEAD amd64 refuses to build

> A clean build with no special options means at least this:

  * clean source tree, with no extra or modified files (it might be
    easiest to delete everything and check out a clean source tree);
  * no left over output files or temporary files from previous build
    attempts, such as TOOLDIR, RELEASEDIR, DESTDIR, or obj dirs;
  * no /etc/mk.conf or similar file;
  * no -V options passed to build.sh;
  * no environment variables that are intended to affect the build.

--apb (Alan Barrett)

I thought of cleaning out the entire src tree and redownloading/re-cvs'ing, but
John Nemeth didn't think that necessary.

This is a USB-stick installation with src tree and pkgsrc tree on FreeBSD
hard-drive partition, so I want to do the build work on the hard drive.

Src and pkgsrc trees are /BETA1/netbsd-HEAD/usr/src and /BETA1/pkgsrc
respectively.

This happened because there is a bug in FreeBSD support for Realtek 8111E
Ethernet on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, but OK with NetBSD-current and NetBSD
6.1_STABLE, amd64 in both cases.  OpenBSD 5.4 and DragonFlyBSD 3.6.0 share this
FreeBSD bug; I tested from Live USB sticks.  OK with Linux from SystemRescueCD
3.6.0 USB-stick install.

NetBSD is the only OS where I can download FreeBSD source, ports and doc trees
onto UFS2/ffsv2 partition using subversion, built from NetBSD pkgsrc in this
case.

I need /etc/mk.conf for pkgsrc though it apparently plays no role in system
builds.

> Is this problem repeatable, and does it also appear with -j1?

--apb (Alan Barrett)

I never set -j1, though I've omitted this parameter a few times, and it made no
apparent difference.

FreeBSD advises not using such a parameter on system builds, so I could follow
this advice for NetBSD too.

Reason for the subject line with mpc, gmp and mpfr was the belief that partial
update might be screwing the build.

Tom