Re: Creating /dev/dk* nodes so as to be persistent

mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost ("Thomas Mueller") writes:

> >I wonder if rebuilding/updating the NetBSD system from source would fix the
> >/dev.

> A rebuild would do nothing and I doubt that an update helps (but it would
> be a good feature). A reinstall (using sysinst) does help.

After building the system from source and installing/copying the kernels,
generic and custom, my installworld command was, or something like because
directory names were not always the same:

 ./build.sh -O ../obj.amd64 -B nb6amd64-20130516 -m amd64 -T ../tooldir.amd64
-U install=/

This is from netbsd-6 last May 16.

sysinst is not workable: GPT.

Would a reinstall such as you suggest disrupt my installed packages from pkgsrc?

Remember, subversion, built from pkgsrc, is the most important part of this
NetBSD installation.

I use subversion (svn) in NetBSD because of a bug in FreeBSD's Realtek 8111E
Ethernet driver, to checkout and update source tree, can also checkout and
update ports tree and doc tree.  startx fails too, can't find display, but
that's no impediment to subversion.

Linux from System Rescue CD and NetBSD-current connect with this Ethernet, but
FreeBSD and OpenBSD fail.

> >I notice the instructions say nothing about booting single-user after
> >installing the new kernel but before installing the new world.

> It is not strictly necessary.

> >Instructions for FreeBSD advise booting single-user after "make buildworld,
> >"make buildkernel" and "make installkernel".

> >Maybe that would be a good idea for NetBSD too?

> >I prefer to use NetBSD-current rather than 6.x.

> That obviously causes more problems, but nothing like your
> current problem which is the result of a bad installation.

How does using NetBSD-current instead of 6.1-STABLE cause more problems?

NetBSD-6.1_STABLE hung on boot every time on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard.

> >I can "boot netbsd-sandy6.1 -a" at boot prompt and get a prompt to specify
> >root device, but there the system hangs, and won't recognize any keyboard
> >input.

> USB as a console doesn't work everywhere.

You mean I should try a PS/2 keyboard?  The console works for "boot
netbsd-sandy6.1 -a" with USB keyboard.

> >I just checked the /dev/directory of that NetBSD-current amd64 USB stick,
> >GPT-partitioned so no NetBSD disklabel problems, from FreeBSD, and only a few
> things were there including MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV.local , also altq, fd and log.

> This looks like someone just unpacked the file sets.

Tom