Re: Creating /dev/dk* nodes so as to be persistent

mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost ("Thomas Mueller") writes:

>I wonder if rebuilding/updating the NetBSD system from source would fix the
>/dev.

A rebuild would do nothing and I doubt that an update helps (but it would
be a good feature). A reinstall (using sysinst) does help.

>I notice the instructions say nothing about booting single-user after
>installing the new kernel but before installing the new world.

It is not strictly necessary.

>Instructions for FreeBSD advise booting single-user after "make buildworld,
>"make buildkernel" and "make installkernel".

>Maybe that would be a good idea for NetBSD too?

>I prefer to use NetBSD-current rather than 6.x.

That obviously causes more problems, but nothing like your
current problem which is the result of a bad installation.

>I can "boot netbsd-sandy6.1 -a" at boot prompt and get a prompt to specify
>root device, but there the system hangs, and won't recognize any keyboard
>input.

USB as a console doesn't work everywhere.

>I just checked the /dev/directory of that NetBSD-current amd64 USB stick,
>GPT-partitioned so no NetBSD disklabel problems, from FreeBSD, and only a few
>things were there including MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV.local , also altq, fd and log.

This looks like someone just unpacked the file sets.