Re: /etc/ttys defaults

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 15:09:53 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> when there are 20 prompts and the harried user types the wrong thing.
> I basically view being interactive as a bug.

Hm - PEBCAK?  ;)

On a more serious note, I agree that etcupdate(8) could be less
verbose. I would, e.g., very much like an option to just install any
new files (say, new rc.d scripts) without asking me for each of them. I
would also like to see an /etc/etcupdate.conf that lets me exclude
certain files that are locally managed (hosts, csh.*) from etcupdate's
view.

But the general mechanism of flagging changes, then being able to
interactively adopt, change  or dismiss them, is a great feature -
powerful, yet far enough away from black magic to still be
understandable.

Given the OP's posting history on NetBSD lists, I cannot help but
suspecting he did not familiarize himself enough with etcupdate(8) and
postinstall(8) before jumping to conclusions. PEBCAK, indeed.

hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost>
Ernst-Ludwig-Straße 15