Re: /etc/ttys defaults, was Persistent green messages interrupting console on NetBSD 6.99.19 i386

Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 05 Jun 2013, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> etcupdate appears to be too aggressive.
>
> Please could you expand on this.  Under what circumstances will
> etcupdate make unwanted changes?  (As far as I know, etcupdate always
> prompts first, except in safe cases as requested by "-a".)

My comment was overly strong, and is based on reecnt use of etcupdate
together with an etcupdate-like cfengine-like private mechanism, where I
ended up with some files reverting to 'clean install' state when I
didn't want to.  So it's perhaps unfair.

But, when there are 20 prompts and the harried user types the wrong thing.
I basically view being interactive as a bug.