Re: x86 GENERIC kernels unlobotomized

Am 08.08.11 18:42, schrieb Jukka Ruohonen:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 04:41:42PM +0000, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
>> Yes, repeatedly, almost everywhere, the people responsible were
>> continually unreceptive.  Additionally, bringing it up for discussion
>> now would have only led to further indecision and inaction.
>
> I object this, but oh well, maybe I can just go and revert this too.

A revert / unrevert / revert again session helps not much.  I also think
that jak's move was not a step in the right direction, but then, he has
a point.

I suggest we create a MODULAR kernel config which aims at a totally
modularized kernel, and GENERIC can be a monolithic kernel.  MONOLITHIC,
of course, can then be be removed.

So in short, what jak did, is just a naming shuffle:

GENERIC becomes the new MONOLITHIC
MONOLITHIC is no longer used (superseeded by GENERIC) and this removed
MODULAR comes in as the new GENERIC

ALL is still the kernel that is there, for what reason? ah, I forgot,
but let's keep it anyway.