Re: atf for libcurses

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 06:27:59PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:

> One problem with curses and curses-using programs is that their real
> output isn't a stream of characters, or a stream of commands, but the
> appearance of the screen afterward.

I disagree.  It is a stream of characters that affects the appearance
of the screen.

> There are in general multiple character or command sequences that
> generate the same output.

Yes that is true but we are talking about driving the curses library,
this should be deterministic, given a terminal type a certain sequence
of calls should result in a certain sequence of output.  Curses does
have certain paths it follows depending on some variables, those
variables are under control of the testing program.

> To verify curses at this sort of abstraction
> level, one needs a terminal emulator of sorts, and check the resulting
> "appearance".

Why?  All the terminal emulator will be doing is taking the command
sequences and rendering those as cursor motions and characters.  They
will always be the same sequences.  We are not talking about human
input here where a human can mix up the key presses to arrive at the
same goal.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: