Re: continuous crashing 5.99.39

2010/10/27 ultradix <ultradix%rambler.ru@localhost>:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 12:29:18 +0200
> Jens Rehsack <rehsack%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/5 Pouya D. Tafti <p%san-serriffe.org@localhost>:
>>
>> I'm not sure that is related to the iPod, but my NetBSD runs always
>> overnight - and it crashs only in those nights where the iPod is attached
>> for loading ...
>> So it's my first guess that there is a relation.
>
> I don't use iPod thus I don't understand what does it mean "atached for

No, I mean to load/charge the battery of the appliance ;)

> Do you mount iPod's fs under NetBSD? If it is then I see chain: NetBSD mounts
> fs and thinks it owns it; iPod has own live and changes fs (write new log for
> example) + use new inode; NetBSD doesn't see new used inode; NetBSD is
> disappointed by fs state and crashes.

No, I don't mount the iPod's fs under NetBSD (at least with my kernel conf
this wont work anyway - I don't know 'cause I never looked deeper if I
would need to enable some options or need to write/adapt a driver).

While an iPod is attached to a computer, the device don't do own actions
(it switches into a passive mode). Further, in such a case, a crash dump
should be written into on the swap/dump device - which doesn't happen
(I know that it works, because the later fs corruption created a lot of the
dumps).

> It's just logical conclusion, nothing more.

Nice idea - unfortunatly not very likely :(

/Jens