Re: agr(4) question in NetBSD-5.1_RC3

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:42:53PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 04:23 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 04:02:29PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> >>   Does anyone have an agr(4) working on a netbsd-5 machine?
> >I did get it working some time ago. The key is that, unless you're using a
> >wm(4) device which has code to support SIOCSIFADDR(AF_INET), you have to
> >manually set the ethernet address on the underlying interfaces to be the same
> >as the agr(4) one (which should default to the ethernet address of the first
> >port added to the agr, but this can be chanegd).
>   I infer from the above that if you do have wm(4)s, or some other
> device with such support, that the agr(4) will take care of that all
> for you?

I tested with one wm(4) and one epic(4). Depending on the order in which I
did built the agr, it was working or not working, which made me investigate
and find the ethernet address issue.

>   If so, is there any reason why that support/code
> shouldn't/couldn't be added to more ethernet devices?  Certainly
> some of the more common/faster ones that many people are using, like
> bge (and wm, of course) it would be of value I'd think.

The details are in
and follow up. Basically agr(4) should use the same interface as the one used
by ifconfig foo0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, but I don't know how to do this from
the kernel.

Manuel Bouyer <>