Re: agr(4) question in NetBSD-5.1_RC3

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:42:53PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 04:23 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 04:02:29PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> >>   Does anyone have an agr(4) working on a netbsd-5 machine?
> >I did get it working some time ago. The key is that, unless you're using a
> >wm(4) device which has code to support SIOCSIFADDR(AF_INET), you have to
> >manually set the ethernet address on the underlying interfaces to be the same
> >as the agr(4) one (which should default to the ethernet address of the first
> >port added to the agr, but this can be chanegd).
>
>   I infer from the above that if you do have wm(4)s, or some other
> device with such support, that the agr(4) will take care of that all
> for you?

I tested with one wm(4) and one epic(4). Depending on the order in which I
did built the agr, it was working or not working, which made me investigate
and find the ethernet address issue.

>   If so, is there any reason why that support/code
> shouldn't/couldn't be added to more ethernet devices?  Certainly
> some of the more common/faster ones that many people are using, like
> bge (and wm, of course) it would be of value I'd think.

The details are in
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2010/03/24/msg001945.html
and follow up. Basically agr(4) should use the same interface as the one used
by ifconfig foo0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, but I don't know how to do this from
the kernel.