Re: agr(4) question in NetBSD-5.1_RC3

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 04:02:29PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

>   I have an i386 machine running a netbsd-5 image from late-July (5.1_RC3).
> Starting with 5.1_RC1 even, I've been trying to get an agr interface using
> the pair of bge(4) ethernets on the hosts motherboard (the host is a DL380G3,
> FYI) connected to a Dell PowerConnect 2824 ethernet switch.  I have the two
> interfaces on the Dell configured as a link aggregation group.
>
>   It seems to work just fine, long term, if I connect only one of the ports.
> At some point a while ago I did some switching around of ports on each side,
> but if I ever found a single problem, I haven't been able to reliably
> reproduce it.  It looks like I'm just doing something wrong somewhere, likely
> by not fully understanding the technology.
>
>   Does anyone have an agr(4) working on a netbsd-5 machine?

I did get it working some time ago. The key is that, unless you're using a
wm(4) device which has code to support SIOCSIFADDR(AF_INET), you have to
manually set the ethernet address on the underlying interfaces to be the same
as the agr(4) one (which should default to the ethernet address of the first
port added to the agr, but this can be chanegd).